This deliciously tender veal parmigiana is everything you'd want in a weeknight Italian dish. Ready in a modest 40 minutes, and the whole fam will enjoy!
6 x 110 g uncrumbed veal schnitzels
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup dried breadcrumbs
½ cup Parmesan
½ cup plain flour
salt and cracked black pepper to taste
vegetable oil, for shallow frying
420 g tomato and garlic pasta sauce, warmed
1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
1 cup grated mozzarella
steamed baby potatoes to serve
green beans, steamed, to serve
- Place each steak between two sheets of baking paper. Gently pound with a meat mallet to flatten slightly (about 5mm thick).
- Place eggs in a shallow dish. Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan in a separate shallow dish. Dust veal in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Shake off excess. One at a time, dip veal in eggs, then in breadcrumbs, pressing to coat.
- In a large, deep frying pan, heat enough oil to shallow-fry over a medium to high heat. Add veal in three batches. Shallow-fry for about 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until golden. Remove. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Place veal in a single layer on a large oven tray lined with baking paper. Spoon over combined warm sauce and oregano. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Cook in a hot oven (200°C) for about 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish schnitzels with cracked black pepper. Serve with steamed potatoes and beans.