Celebrate the spirit of Anzac with a biscuit everybody loves. This Anzac biscuit recipe is on the crunchier side, perfect for dipping into an arvo cup of tea.
1 ¼ cups quick oats
1 cup plain flour
1 cup caster sugar
½ cup desiccated coconut
½ cup shredded coconut
150 g unsalted butter, chopped
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tbsp boiling water
- Line three oven trays with baking paper.
- Combine oats, flour, sugar and both coconuts in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Melt butter and syrup in a medium saucepan over a low heat. Remove from heat. Dissolve soda in water in a heatproof jug. Stir into butter mixture.
- Pour butter mixture over oat mixture. Stir well until combined.
- Roll rounded tablespoons of mixture into balls. Place 5cm apart on prepared trays. Press to slightly flatten.
- Cook two trays in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 16 to 18 minutes, or until very golden brown. Remove from oven. Repeat with remaining tray.
- Stand biscuits on trays for 10 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.