melted unsalted butter, for greasing
75 g unsalted butter, chopped
1.5 cups water
250 g packet pitted dates, finely chopped
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp mixed spice
1 free-range egg, lightly beaten
¼ cup golden syrup
butter, to serve
- Brush two 8cm x 19cm nut roll tins with butter. Line lids from both ends with baking paper. Replace lids at one end. Stand tins upright, lid-side down, on an oven tray
- Stir butter and water in a medium saucepan over a low heat until melted. Add dates. Bring to boil. Remove from heat. Stir in soda. Stand at room temperature to cool.
- Combine sugar, walnuts, combined sifted flour and spices in a large bowl. Stir in date mixture, egg, and syrup until combined. Divide evenly between tins. Place lids on top.
- Cook upright, in a moderately slow oven (160C) for 45 minutes. Remove. Stand in tins for 20 minutes. Remove all lids. Gently slide out rolls onto a wire rack to cool.
- Serve warm or cold rolls cut into slices with butter.