Oranges give real zest to Create Bake Make's easy orange cake! Passed on from her mother, the buttery cake is easy to make and can be frozen for up to 6 weeks.
125 g butter, softened
⅔ cup caster sugar
grated rind 1 large orange
1 ½ cups self-raising flour
⅓ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tbsp milk
45 g butter, softened
grated rind of ½ orange
2 tbsp orange juice
1 ⅓ cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line the base and sides of a 22cm x 10cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Place the softened butter, caster sugar and orange rind in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 8 minutes until it's pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until completely combined.
- Add the flour and turn your electric mixer onto a low speed, before slowly adding the orange juice and milk. Beat until the mixture has combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and lightly smooth the top with the back of a spoon.
- Place the cake into the pre-heated oven and bake for 40 minutes or until the cake is cooked through. Every oven is different, so test by inserting a skewer into the centre of the loaf. If the skewer comes out clean, the loaf is cooked.
- After removing from oven, cool cake in the tin for 15 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place the softened butter, orange rind and icing sugar into a bowl.
- Add the orange juice and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the icing over the top of the cooled cake and leave for 30 minutes to allow the icing to set.