4 medium eggplants, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
sea salt flakes and pepper to season
½ cup gluten-free flour
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup smooth ricotta
½ cup grated Parmesan
2 Tbsp raisins, chopped
2 Tbsp pine nuts, toasted
6 anchovy fillets, chopped (optional)
3 free-range egg yolks
½ cup finely chopped parsley
½ cup finely chopped mint
juice 1 lemon
2 cups passata
shaved Parmesan, to serve
basil, to serve
crusty bread, to serve
- Season both sides of eggplant slices with salt and pepper, then dust with flour, shaking off any excess.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Cook eggplant in 3 batches, for 1–2 minutes each side or until golden. Drain on paper towel. Wipe pan clean and set aside.
- Combine ricotta, parmesan, raisins, pine nuts, anchovies (if using), egg yolks, parsley, mint and lemon juice in a large bowl. Season to taste
- Lay eggplant slices on a large board. Put a heaped tablespoon of ricotta mixture into centres. Fold over sides of eggplant to enclose and make pillows
- Pour half the passata over the base of clean pan. Arrange eggplant pillows on top. Top with remaining passata. Cover and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes or until bubbling
- Top with shaved parmesan and basil leaves. Serve with crusty bread.