Deliciously cheesy and packed with roast vegies, this is the ultimate entrée.
½ butternut pumpkin
1 eggplant (300g)
2 medium zucchini (300g)
¼ cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
250 g smooth ricotta tub
¼ cup basil pesto
¾ cup mozzarella grated
rocket leaves to serve
bread to serve
- Cut pumpkin into six 1cm- thick slices. Peel slices. Arrange in a single layer on a large microwave-safe plate. Cover. Microwave on High for about 5 minutes, or until just tender.
- Meanwhile, cut eggplant into 12 x 1cm- thick rounds. Cut zucchini diagonally into 12 x 1cm-thick slices. Combine oil and garlic in a small bowl. Brush evenly over eggplant and zucchini.
- Heat an oiled grill plate over a medium to high heat. Add eggplant and zucchini in two batches. Cook, turning occasionally, for about 6 minutes, or until tender. Remove.
- Combine ricotta and pesto in a medium bowl.
- Place half the eggplant slices in a lightly oiled, large roasting pan. Spread each with 1 tbsp of ricotta mixture. Top with pumpkin. Repeat layering with remaining eggplant and ricotta mixture. Arrange two zucchini slices in a criss-cross shape on each one. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180°c) for about 15 minutes, or until tops are golden.
- Serve with rocket leaves and crusty bread.