440 g packet chocolate cake mix
blue sprinkles, to decorate
white sugar pearls
blue and white sugar star sprinkles
375 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
3 ½ cups icing sugar mixture
1 Tbsp milk
food colouring paste (black, violet, and blue), to tint
- Line a 12-hole muffin pan (1/3-cup capacity) with paper cases
- Prepare cake mix according to packet directions, reserving icing sachet for another use. Divide evenly among paper cases.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 25 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make frosting, beat butter in a small bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Add sugar, ½ cup at a time, beating until smooth. Beat in milk.
- Divide frosting evenly among three bowls. Tint one quantity dark grey using black gel, one quantity purple using violet gel and remaining quantity blue.
- Alternately spoon all frostings into one piping bag fitted with a 15mm star nozzle. Twist top.
- Pipe onto cupcakes in a spiral pattern, starting from outer edge. Decorate with sprinkles, cachous and stars.