1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
600 g beef mince
2 cloves garlic, minced, plus extra 2 cloves, minced
140 g pizza sauce or tomato paste
½ cup red wine
700 g passata (strained tomato puree)
¼ cup fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped, plus extra, to garnish
Salt and pepper, to season
cooking oil spray, for greasing
2 tbsp butter, softened
9 slices sliced gluten-free soy and linseed bread, toasted
60 g fresh baby spinach, to garnish
400 g fresh ricotta
150 g mozzarella, thinly sliced
finely grated Parmesan cheese, to serve
- Heat olive oil in a large lidded nonstick frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion and mince. Stir until mince browns. Add garlic, sauce, wine. Bring to boil then cook for 10 minutes. Add passata, basil and simmer, with lid partially on and stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes. Season. Take off heat.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 14-cup capacity rectangle baking dish with cooking oil. Mix extra garlic and butter in a small bowl. Spread garlic butter on 1 side of each toast. Set aside.
- Put ¼ cup of the bolognese in base of prepared dish and spread.
- Halve 2 toasts. Use 3 halves and 3 whole toasts (4½ slices in total), buttered-side up, to cover bolognese base.
- Cover with ½ of the spinach.
- Spread ½ of remaining bolognese.
- Dollop with ½ of the ricotta then cover with remaining toasts.
- Repeat layering with remaining spinach, bolognese and ricotta. Top with mozzarella.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until cheese is golden. Garnish with extra spinach, sprinkle over parmesan and serve.