cooking oil spray, for greasing
3 eggs, separated
1 cup caster sugar
3 slices gluten-free multigrain bread, made into breadcrumbs (see below)
1 cup walnuts, very finely chopped, plus extra, to garnish
½ cup cocoa powder, split into two ¼ cup portions
2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
60 g butter, melted, separated into 40g portion and 20g portion
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup icing sugar mixture
dark chocolate shards, to garnish, see linked recipes, below
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease base and sides of a 20cm round cake tin with cooking oil then line base and sides with baking paper. Put egg yolks, sugar and 60ml water in a large bowl and beat, using electric hand mixer, for 1 minute or until thick and pale. Stir in breadcrumbs (see below method) and walnuts until combined. Sift in 1/4 cup cocoa and baking powder and stir. Pour in vanilla and 40g butter then stir until just combined.
- Put egg whites in a second large bowl and beat for 1 minute or until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites through batter, in 2 batches, until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared tin. Bake for 40 minutes or until top of cake is dry to touch and feels slightly springy. Set aside in tin for 15 minutes to cool then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make icing, sift icing sugar and remaining 1/4 cup cocoa into a large bowl. Stir in extra 20g butter and 2 tbsp hot water until smooth and spreadable.
- Spoon icing onto cooled cake and gently spread to coat top of cake. To serve, garnish cake with extra walnuts and chocolate shards. Serve.
- Put 3 slices of bread at a time into the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse several times until desired consistency is reached.
- Tada! Your homemade breadcrumbs are ready for this recipe.