This 5-ingredient cake is perfect to whip up a cafe favourite in the comfort of your own home.
5 free-range eggs, room temperature
⅔ cup brown sugar, firmly packed, plus extra 1 tbsp brown sugar
2 ½ cups almond meal
300 ml tub thickened cream
250 g punnet fresh strawberries, hulled, halved
- Invert base of a 24cm springform pan (base measuring 22cm). Grease and line base and side with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above pan edge.
- Beat eggs in large bowl of an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes. Add the sugar and beat for a further 4 minutes, or until thick and pale. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the almond meal in three batches. Using a balloon whisk, gently fold until combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 35 minutes, or until edge of cake has shrunk slightly away from side of pan. Remove from oven. Stand cake in pan for 10 minutes. Remove side from pan. Transfer cake to a wire rack to cool.
- To serve, beat cream and extra sugar in small bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Spread over the top of cake. Decorate with strawberries.