2 eggplants, cut into 5 mm slices
2 large zucchini, cut into 5 mm slices
100 ml extra virgin olive oil
sea salt flakes
500 g tomato pasta sauce
375 g lasagne sheets
½ cup shredded mozzarella
torn bocconcini, to garnish (optional)
basil leaves, to garnish
Ricotta bechamel sauce
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp plain flour
2 cups milk
1 cup ricotta cheese
- Preheat a barbecue grill plate or chargrill pan over a medium-high heat.
- Brush eggplant and zucchini slices liberally with oil. Season. Grill in batches in a single layer for 5 minutes, turning once, or until lightly charred and tender.
- To make ricotta bechamel sauce, put oil and flour in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbling. Add milk, ½ cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. Only add more milk once the mixture becomes smooth. Whisk in ricotta. Season. Set aside.
- Spoon ½ cup tomato sauce into base of a 40 x 30cm roasting pan (oval or rectangle). Top with 1½ lasagne sheets or as required to form a single layer, trimming sheet to fit.
- Spoon over 1 cup bechamel. Top with one-third of the grilled eggplant and zucchini in a single layer.
- Repeat layering twice more with tomato sauce, lasagne sheets, bechamel and veg. Dollop remaining tomato sauce on top. Scatter with mozzarella.
- Bake lasagne for 35 minutes or until cheese is golden and pasta is tender.
- To serve, garnish with torn bocconcini, if using, and basil leaves. Season with pepper.