Google has revealed Australia’s top recipe searches for 2017 – and it turns out we’re a nation of comfort-food lovers with a curiosity for kimchi.
The top 10 list for most-searched recipes could have been lifted straight from a 1970s cookbook, with classics such as beef stroganoff, chicken cacciatore and quiche Lorraine grabbing our attention.
It’s a collection that speaks to our heart here at Foodiful, confirming our belief that beyond all the foams, soils and deconstructed desserts of the restaurant world, at the end of the day Aussies want comforting, familiar favourites on the dinner table.
Top recipe searches for 2017
1. Beef stroganoff – this retro Russian dish is like a warm hug from your grandma. Check out our stroganoff collection for eight tried-and-tested recipes.
2. Hot cross buns – Easter isn’t complete without a freshly baked batch of fruit-studded buns. Find eight hot cross bun recipes here.
3. Hollandaise sauce – recreate the cafe staple of eggs Benedict with homemade hollandaise sauce.
4. Chilli con carne – from classic beef to quick chicken, we’ve got 13 chilli con carne recipes to satisfy your spicy cravings.
5. Chicken cacciatore – this classic Italian ‘hunter’s stew’ is a family fave, thanks to its herby tomato sauce and tender chicken. Try this easy chicken cacciatore tonight.this winter warmer
9. Beef bourguignon – a dinner party staple, French beef bourguignon is just the right amount of fancy.10. Quiche LorraineLorraine
And while the top 10 recipe searches was a hit-list of homey dishes, it seems us Aussies were curious about Asian cuisines, with ‘What is MSG’ and ‘What is kimchi’ landing in the top three for ‘What is’ searches for 2017.
Who knows, maybe these kimchi hot dogs will rocket into the top 10 recipes for 2018.
Melbourne-based food and wine writer Sarah Gamboni has had to pull back on a few of her favourite things – chilli, gin and espresso – since bringing her daughter, Frankie, into the world. But she has discovered one post-natal perk: those stretchy-waist maternity jeans are heaven when heading out for a big meal. Follow her on Instagram @eatmywords_au