Made with milk and protein-rich eggs, these caramels are not only lighter, they taste better too. Honey for the caramel top adds a delicious, fragrant twist.
150 g honey, plus 2 tbsp extra
150 g pouring pure cream
450 g milk
1 vanilla bean, halved lengthways
4 free-range eggs
2 egg yolks
boiling water, for baking
- Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan). Place 6 ovenproof ramekins (200ml capacity) into a large baking dish.
- Place honey into a medium heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes, until deep golden
- Carefully pour honey into prepared ramekins. Swirl honey to coat bases and sides of ramekins, then return to baking dish.
- Combine cream, milk and vanilla bean in a saucepan. Cook over a low-medium heat until mixture almost boils. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk eggs, yolks and extra honey in a large heat-proof bowl. Gradually whisk in warm cream mixture until combined. Strain mixture through a fine sieve into a large jug. Then pour evenly into each prepared ramekin.
- Pour enough boiling water into baking dish to come halfway up the sides of ramekins (see tip, below). Bake for 35-40 minutes or until just set (they should still have a slight wobble). Remove from water bath and allow to cool for approximately 30 minutes. Once cooled, place into refrigerator overnight.
- Carefully run a knife around edge of each crème caramel and turn out onto plates to serve