500 g waxy potatoes
150 g unsalted butter, softened
1 free-range egg
1 tsp fine salt
1 ½ cups plain flour
2 cups morello glacé cherries, drained
½ cup cherry jam
1 cup dried breadcrumbs
¼ cup caster sugar
3 tsp ground cinnamon
whipped thickened cream, to serve
- Place whole unpeeled potatoes in a steamer basket set over a saucepan of simmering water. Steam for 20 minutes or until tender. Remove from steamer. Set aside to cool.
- Peel potatoes and press through a fine sieve into a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the butter, the egg and salt. Mix until smooth. Add flour and mix gently to form a dough.
- Combine cherries and jam in a small bowl.
- Measure out 2 tablespoons of dough and, using floured hands, roll into a ball. Using index finger make an indentation. Fill with a little cherry mixture then fold over dough to enclose filling and press tightly to seal. Repeat with remaining dough and cherry filling to make 16 dumplings
- Cook dumplings in 3 batches in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 2–3 minutes or until dumplings float. Using a slotted spoon, remove dumplings and set aside.
- Melt remaining butter in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Cook dumplings, for 2–3 minutes or until golden all over. Sprinkle over breadcrumbs. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until dumplings are coated and crumbs are golden. Place dumplings in a serving bowl.
- Mix caster sugar and cinnamon together then sprinkle over hot dumplings. Serve with whipped cream.