75 g butter, chopped, room temperature
250 g middle bacon rashers, trimmed, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
250 g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
12 large slices white bread
¾ cup milk
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 tsp dried Italian herbs
¾ cup finely grated Parmesan
salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt 25g of the butter in a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat until bubbling. Add bacon and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 2 minutes, or until tomatoes are warm. Transfer to a bowl. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, cut crusts from bread. Cut five slices into 4cm pieces. Reserve. Spread one side of remaining slices with remaining butter.
- Line base and three quarters of the way up the side of a 20cm springform pan (base measuring 18cm) with remaining bread slices, buttered-side down. Place on an oven tray
- Whisk eggs, milk, parsley, dried herbs and ½ cup of the parmesan in a large bowl until combined. Add bacon mixture and chopped bread. Season with salt and pepper. Stir until just combined. Stand for 5 minutes to soak.
- Pour egg mixture into bread case. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180°C) for about 45 minutes, or until set. Remove from oven. Stand for 5 minutes in pan.
- To serve, remove side of pan. Cut into slices.