An indulgent sweet for grown-ups, and since there's Kahlua in both the brownies and choc icing, the taste really comes through – make sure you hide them from the kids!
150 g butter
1 cup caster sugar
¾ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 free-range eggs
⅔ cup plain flour
¼ cup Kahlua
For the icing
1 cup icing sugar mixture
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
40 g butter, softened
1 Tbsp boiling water
1 Tbsp Kahlua
- Preheat your oven to 160°C and line a 20cm square baking tin with baking paper.
- Place the butter, caster sugar and cocoa into a large saucepan. Cook, stirring regularly, over a low heat for 5 minutes or until butter has melted and ingredients are combined.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the vanilla extract, eggs, plain flour and Kahlua. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely in the tin before making the icing.
- Place all of the icing ingredients into a small bowl and mix together until combined. Use a spatula or a butter knife to smear the icing over the top of the completely cooled brownies. Give the icing 20 minutes to set and then cut into pieces and enjoy.