5 small kale leaves (120 g)
200 g sweet potato, peeled, coarsely grated
3 eggs, lightly beaten
¼ cup self-raising flour
2 tsp paprika
¼ tsp chilli powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
olive oil, for frying
endive leaves, to serve
sliced avocado, to serve
⅓ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup buttermilk
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- To make herb sauce, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate.
- Wash kale. Drain. Pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper. Remove leaves by cutting a V-shape either side of the centre stems. Discard stems. Shred leaves. You will need 2½ cups.
- Place kale in a large bowl with sweet potato, eggs, flour, paprika and chilli. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Heat enough oil to cover base of a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add 2 tblsps of kale mixture. Using the back of a spoon, press down gently to shape into a round. Repeat to make 3 more fritters.
- Cook for about 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Remove. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper. Keep warm by placing them in a single layer on an oven tray, lightly covered with foil, in a very slow oven (120C).
- Repeat method twice with remaining kale mixture to make 8 fritters.
- Top warm fritters with endive and avocado. Serve with herb sauce.