For a nutty spin on the classic key lime pie, try these key lime and coconut pots with butternut snap cookies, roasted macadamias and moist coconut flakes.
½ cup moist coconut flakes
⅓ cup macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
250 g packet butternut snap cookies
2 tsp finely grated fresh lime rind, plus extra to serve
½ cup fresh lime juice
395 g can sweetened condensed milk
300 ml tub thickened cream
whipped cream, to serve
- Sprinkle coconut and macadamias over an oven tray.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 3 to 4 minutes, or until light golden. Remove. Cool.
- Place biscuits in a large snap-lock bag. Seal. Using a rolling pin, coarsely crush into small pieces. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in coconut, macadamias and rind.
- Stir juice into condensed milk in a bowl. Beat cream in a small bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold into condensed milk mixture.
- Reserve 1/ 3 cup of the biscuit mixture for decorating.
- Sprinkle half the remaining biscuit mixture over the base of six serving glasses (1½-cup capacity). Top with half the cream mixture. Repeat layering with remaining biscuit mixture and cream mixture. Cover. Refrigerate for 2 hours, or overnight.
- Just before serving, decorate with extra whipped cream, reserved biscuit mixture and rind.