600 g lamb rump steaks, trimmed of excess fat
Salt and pepper, to taste
¼ cup olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
400 g eggplant, chopped
⅓ cup tomato paste
500 g tomatoes, chopped
300 g penne pasta
grated Parmesan, to garnish
fresh mint leaves, to garnish
1 cup fresh mint leaves
½ cup blanched almonds
1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp lemon juice
- Season lamb.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large stockpot over a high heat. Add onion and eggplant. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until browned. Stir in paste. Add tomatoes and ½ cup water. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Season.
- Meanwhile, heat an oiled, large, non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add lamb. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until cooked to your liking. Remove. Rest, loosely covered with foil. Thinly slice.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender. Drain.
- To make pesto, place all ingredients with 2 tbsp water and remaining oil in a food processor. Process until combined.
- Serve sauce over pasta. Top with lamb and pesto. Garnish with parmesan and mint.