Warming lamb shanks are ready to go when you put your slow cooker to work.
8 Frenched lamb shanks (2.2 kg)
¼ cup plain flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup red wine
1½ cups beef stock
½ cup pizza sauce with garlic and herbs
4 medium carrots, peeled, cut into 4 cm pieces
2 cups instant polenta, cooked, to serve
½ bunch fresh thyme to garnish
- Toss lamb in ¼ cup plain flour seasoned with salt and pepper in a large bowl. Shake away excess. Reserve remaining flour in bowl.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add lamb in two batches. Cook, turning occasionally for about 10 minutes, or until browned all over.
- Transfer to a removable bowl of a 5 to 6-litre slow cooker with reserved flour. Add combined wine, stock and sauce with carrots. Cover with lid.
- Cook on Low heat for about 6 hours, or until lamb is tender and falling away from bones.
- Serve with creamy polenta. Garnish with thyme.