These biscuits will give you melting moments of lemon butter happiness...
175 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
¾ cup caster sugar
2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
1½ cups plain flour
1¼ cups Pure Icing Sugar
1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
5 - 6 tsp lemon juice
- Grease and line two large oven trays with baking paper.
- Beat butter, sugar, rind and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Transfer to a large bowl. Add flour. Stir until combined. Roll tablespoons of mixture into balls. Place about 4cm apart on trays.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 20 minutes, swapping trays halfway, or until lightly golden. Cool on trays.
- Dip tops of biscuits into icing, allowing excess to drip away. Stand on a wire rack to set.
- To make lemon icing, place sugar and rind in a small heatproof bowl. Sit bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir in enough lemon juice to form a thick consistency. Remove bowl from heat.