150 g unsalted butter, chopped at room temperature
1 cup caster sugar
1 tbsp finely grated fresh lemon rind
4 eggs, at room temperature
1 cup fine semolina
¾ cup self-raising flour
1 cup Greek yoghurt, plus extra to serve
½ cup water
½ cup lemon juice
½ cup caster sugar
⅓ cup honey
- Grease a 22cm springform pan (base measures 20cm). Line base and side with baking paper.
- Beat butter, sugar and rind in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Mixture will look curdled at this stage. Transfer to a large bowl. Fold in semolina, flour and yoghurt in two batches until combined. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 1 hour, 10 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, to make syrup, combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Stir over a low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil. Gently boil for about 7 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Remove cake from oven and leave it in the pan. Using a skewer, pierce hot cake all over, from the top to the base. Gradually pour over hot syrup, allowing it to soak in. Stand cake in pan for 15 minutes.
- Invert cake onto a serving plate. Serve warm with extra yoghurt.