80 g caster sugar
100 g palm sugar, grated
50 ml water
6 kaffir lime leaves, vein removed, finely shredded
450 g unsweetened pineapple juice
120 ml lime juice
1 ripe pineapple, trimmed, diced (you need 500 g fruit)
200 g desiccated coconut
1 L vanilla ice-cream
- To make granita, combine caster sugar, palm sugar and water in a small saucepan over a low heat. Stir until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to the boil. Add ½ of the shredded lime leaf, stir to combine, then remove from heat. Cool slightly. Add pineapple juice and lime juice. Pour into a wide shallow container, cover and freeze for 4-6 hours or until set.
- Meanwhile, put pineapple in a food processor and process until a fine puree forms. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.
- Meanwhile, put a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add coconut and toss until golden. Transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- Put 6 wide glasses in freezer to chill. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Roll scoops of ice-cream in cooled coconut until well coated. Put ice-cream on prepared tray and put in freezer for 1 hour or until firm.
- Spoon pineapple puree into chilled glasses. Remove granita from freezer and scrape with a fork until crystals form. Spoon granita over puree, then top with coconut ice-cream and scatter with remaining lime leaf. Serve.