Comfort food classic alert – this will be a winter crowd-pleaser for the whole family.
500 g packet macaroni
50 g butter, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
¼ cup plain flour
3 cups milk
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 ½ cups grated tasty cheese
salt and ground white pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water until tender. Drain.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add garlic. Cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Add flour. Cook, stirring for 1 minute. Whisk in milk and mustard until smooth. Continue whisking over a medium to high heat until boiling and thickened.
- Remove from heat. Stir into pasta with 1½ cups of cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer mixture to a greased, large, oven-proof dish (12-cup capacity). Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cook, uncovered, in a hot oven (200C) for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove and stand for 5 minutes before serving.