8 Golden Delicious apples
50 g unsalted butter, chopped
⅓ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tbsps maple syrup
⅔ cup pure cream
½ cup sultanas
double cream to serve
1 ¼ cups self-raising flour
½ cup brown sugar firmly packed
3 tsp ground cinnamon
100 g cold unsalted butter, finely chopped
⅓ cup buttermilk
- Lightly grease a shallow ovenproof dish (8-cup capacity).
- Peel and core apples. Cut apples into 3cm wedges.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat until bubbling. Add sugar and maple syrup. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in apples. Bring to boil. Gently boil, turning regularly, for about 10 minutes, or until apples are tender. Stir in cream and sultanas. Transfer to prepared dish.
- To make topping, combine flour, sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl. Using your fingertips, rub in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add buttermilk. Stir until mixture just comes together. (Do not over-mix.)
- Spoon tablespoons of topping evenly over apples
- Cook in a moderate oven (180°C) for about 35 minutes, or until topping is golden brown. Remove from oven. Stand for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot cobbler with double cream.