400 g lean beef mince
1 large egg
8 cloves garlic, 1 finely grated, remaining sliced
2 tsp dried oregano
Freshly ground black pepper, to season
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 fennel bulb, finely chopped, fronds reserved
2 carrots, finely chopped
500 g passata
600 ml reduced-salt vegetable stock
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
250 g frozen peas or edamame, thawed
2 large zucchini, cut into noodles with a spiraliser or peeler
- Put mince, egg, grated garlic and oregano in a large bowl. Season. Mix well then roll into 16 balls.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add meatballs and cook, carefully moving them around pan, until browned all over. Set aside on a plate.
- Reduce heat slightly and add fennel, carrots and sliced garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Pour in passata, stock and balsamic. Stir well then return meatballs to pan. Cover and cook gently for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, to make zoodles, heat oil in a nonstick pan over a medium heat. Add edamame or peas and stir-fry until heated through and softened. Remove from heat and stir through zucchini noodles.
- Divide zoodles among serving plates. Top with meatball mixture. To serve, scatter with reserved fennel fronds.