This make-ahead dessert is perfect for Easter
¼ cup instant coffee granules
⅔ cup boiling water
6 hot cross buns
250 g black cream cheese, chopped, room temperature
¾ cup icing sugar mixture
300 ml tub thickened cream
50 g dark cooking chocolate, coarsely grated
aerosol whipped cream, to serve
- Invert base of a 22cm springform pan (base measures 20cm). Grease and line base and side with baking paper, extending paper 4cm above pan.
- Dissolve coffee in boiling water in a heatproof jug. Cool slightly.
- Cut each bun horizontally into three even slices.
- Beat cream cheese and sugar in a small bowl of an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in 1 tblsp of the coffee. Add cream. Beat until soft peaks form.
- To assemble, arrange bun bases, cut-side up, in a single layer in prepared pan, trimming if necessary. Drizzle with one-third of the coffee. Top with half the cream mixture. Spread evenly. Sprinkle with half the chocolate. Repeat layering with middle bun slices, one-third of the coffee and remaining cream and chocolate.
- Brush remaining coffee over cut-side of bun tops. Place on top of cream mixture, cut-side down. Wrap dish tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, remove side of pan. Transfer cake to a serving plate. Serve with cream