This delish casserole recipe is packed with the flavours of Morocco. Pearl couscous adds a winning texture to this impressive, family-friendly dinner dish.
1.5 kg diced lamb shoulder
2 onions finely chopped
80 g tube Moroccan spice blend
2 cups chicken stock
400 g pearl couscous
natural yoghurt to serve
fresh coriander to garnish
- Heat 2 tbsps olive oil in a flameproof casserole dish (16-cup capacity) over a high heat. Add lamb in three batches. Cook, turning occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until browned all over. Remove
- Add onions to same dish over a medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until soft. Add stir-in seasoning. Cook, stirring for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Return lamb with any meat juices and chicken stock. Stir to combine. Bring to boil. Cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160°C) for 1 hour, 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Stir in frozen couscous mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Cover. Return to oven.
- Cook for a further 20 minutes, or until lamb is tender and casserole is hot.
- Serve with yoghurt. Garnish with coriander leaves (optional).