¼ cup plain flour
2 tbsp Moroccan seasoning
Salt and pepper, to taste
8 pieces veal osso bucco (1.2 kg)
¼ cup olive oil
2 onions, thickly sliced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 cups beef stock
2 tbsp honey
1 bunch Dutch carrots, trimmed, washed
1 cinnamon stick
Couscous and lemon wedges, to serve
½ cup finely chopped fresh coriander
2 tsps thinly shredded lemon rind
- Combine flour, seasoning and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Dust veal pieces in flour mixture, one at a time, shaking off excess.
- Heat 2 tbsps of the oil in a large, flameproof casserole dish (24-cup capacity) over a medium to high heat. Add veal in two batches. Cook for about 4 minutes on each side, or until browned. Remove.
- Add remaining oil, onions and garlic to same dish. Cook, stirring occasionally, over a medium heat until soft. Add paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in stock and honey. Return veal to dish with carrots and cinnamon stick. Bring to boil. Cover with lid.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 2 hours, or until meat is tender and sauce is slightly thickened. Season.
- To make topping, combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Serve osso bucco with couscous and lemon wedges. Sprinkle over topping.