This delicious treat is sure to cool you down on a hot day.
250 g packet butternut snap cookies
75 g unsalted butter, melted
2 litre tub vanilla ice-cream
½ cup dry roasted salted peanuts, chopped
1 cup caster sugar
⅓ cup water
½ cup thickened cream
- Invert base of a 22cm round springform pan (base measuring 20cm). Grease and line base and side with baking paper, extending paper 5cm above pan edge.
- To make caramel, combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Stir over a low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil. Gently boil, without stirring, for about 13 to 15 minutes, or until dark golden. Remove from heat. Carefully add the cream. Stir until smooth. Transfer to a heatproof jug. Refrigerate for about 1 to 2 hours, or until cold.
- Process cookies in a food processor until finely crushed. Add the butter and process until combined. Reserve ½ cup for topping. Press remaining over base of prepared pan. Refrigerate.
- Place ice-cream in a large bowl. Stand at room temperature until slightly softened. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add ½ cup caramel. Swirl through using a spoon. Pour over biscuit base. Smooth top.
- Spoon remaining caramel over ice-cream. Sprinkle over reserved crushed biscuits and peanuts. Cover and freeze flan for about 4 hours, or overnight, until firm.
- To serve, remove side of pan. Transfer to a serving plate. Cut into wedges.