250 g butter
¾ cup cocoa powder
1 ½ cups self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 ½ cups desiccated coconut
1 ⅓ cup caster sugar
¾ cup milk
coloured sprinkles, to decorate
1 ½ cups icing sugar mixture
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp butter, softened
2 tbsp boiling water
- Preheat oven to 160℃ and line the base and sides of a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper.
- Chop the butter into 8 pieces, of place into a microwave-safe bowl and cook for 1 minute on medium heat or until melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Sift the cocoa, self-raising flour and baking powder into a large bowl and add the desiccated coconut, caster sugar, eggs, milk and melted butter. Mix to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and place in the oven to bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cook in the tin for 15 minutes before carefully turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, you can make the chocolate icing. Sift the cocoa and icing sugar together into a bowl.
- Add the softened butter and pour the boiling water directly over the butter.
- Using a small whisk, combine all the ingredients until the chocolate icing is smooth. If you find your icing is still a little firm, add an extra teaspoon of boiling water.
- Use a large spoon to scoop the icing and place onto your cake. Spread the icing out using a spatula or butter knife until the cake is covered. Decorate with coloured sprinkles.