⅓ cup olive oil
3 medium red onions, sliced into 1cm rings
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 large, flat mushrooms, stems removed
fresh baby spinach leaves, to serve
crumbled feta cheese, to serve
barbecue sauce, to serve
500 g beef mince
½ cup crushed, crackers
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp barbecue sauce
1 egg yolk
salt and pepper, to taste
- To make patties, combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well. Divide into four equal portions. Shape each into an 8cm round patty. Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tblsp of the oil in a medium, non-stick frying pan over a medium to low heat. Add onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes, or until soft. Add vinegar. Cook, stirring for about 3 minutes, or until caramelised. Keep warm.
- Brush 1 tblsp of the oil over both sides of patties.
- Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium to low heat. Add patties. Cook uncovered, for about 6 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove. Keep warm.
- Combine garlic and remaining oil in a small bowl. Brush all over mushrooms. Add to same frying pan over a medium heat. Cover with lid. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until tender. Remove.
- Place mushrooms, stem side up, on a serving plate. Top with spinach, patties, onions and feta. Drizzle with sauce.