Orange you glad to see this cake? Zesty and beautiful, it's exactly what you need on a summer's afternoon.
150 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
¾ cup caster sugar
3 tsp finely grated orange rind
2 free-range eggs, room temperature
½ cup milk
1.5 cups self-raising flour
edible flowers, to decorate
1 cup icing sugar mixture
4 tsp orange juice
- Grease a 20cm-round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above pan edge.
- Beat butter, sugar and rind in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add milk and sifted flour in two batches, stirring until combined. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Remove from oven. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make icing, combine sugar and juice in a bowl. Stir until smooth.
- Spoon icing over cake. Decorate with edible flowers