2 kg veal osso buco
¼ cup plain flour (40 g)
salt & pepper to taste
⅓ cup olive oil (85 mls)
2 onions finely chopped
1 small fennel trimmed, finely chopped (250 g)
2 small carrots finely chopped
2 small celery stalks finely chopped
4 garlic cloves crushed
2 tblsps thyme leaves
½ cup tomato paste (130 g)
1 cup red wine (250 mls)
½ cup beef stock (125 mls)
400 g can chopped tomatoes
500 g pappardelle pasta cooked to serve
¼ bunch fresh parsley chopped to serve
- Lightly dust veal in flour and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat ¼ cup of the oil in a large roasting pan over a medium to high heat. Add veal in four batches. Cook, turning once, until golden brown. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat remaining oil in same pan over a medium heat. Add onions, fennel, carrots, celery, garlic and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until soft and lightly browned. Add paste. Cook for 2 minutes. Add wine. Boil until reduced by half. Add stock and tomatoes. Return to boil. Add veal to pan with any juices. Cover.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for 2 hours, or until veal is tender.
- Serve veal over pasta. Sprinkle with parsley.