2 cups self-raising flour, plus extra to dust
60 g butter, chopped, room temperature
50 g Parmesan, finely grated, plus extra 25g finely grated, to scatter
50 g cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
pinch caster sugar
80 ml milk, plus extra 2 tbsp, to brush
125 ml pure cream
freshly ground black pepper to season
softened butter, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C fanforced (220°C conventional). Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Sift flour into a large bowl, add butter. Use fingertips to rub butter into flour until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in cheeses and sugar. Make a well in the centre, add milk and cream. Use a butter knife to mix together, using a cutting action until a lumpy dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and briefly knead until a ball forms. Use your hands to flatten out into a rough rectangle, 2.5cm thick.
- Use a knife dipped in extra flour to cut dough into 6 rectangles.
- Transfer rectangles to oven tray, 2cm apart. Brush tops with a little extra milk, scatter with extra parmesan and season with pepper. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Serve warm, split open, smothered in butter.