500 g pack puff pastry
plain flour, for dusting
1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tbsp milk, to glaze
Spiced egg & coriander mayonnaise filling
3 egg, hard-boiled and peeled
4 Tbsp mayonnaise
2 tsp mild curry powder
4 spring onions, finely chopped
2 Tbsp chopped coriander, plus extra to serve
a squeeze of lemon juice
mango chutney, to serve
Wild mushroom & Parmesan filling
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
25 g dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 30 mins
100 g chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 tsp chopped thyme leaves, plus extra to serve
4 Tbsp mascarpone
85 g Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), finely grated, plus extra shavings to serve
Smoked trout, horseradish & asparagus filling
10 short asparagus spears, trimmed
200 g smoked trout
1 - 2 tsp horseradish sauce (depending on the strength)
6 Tbsp crème fraîche
1 heaped Tbsp chopped dill, plus extra sprigs to serve
a squeeze of lemon juice
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan. Line a large baking tray with baking parchment. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut into 30 × 6cm squares, trimming any edges. Score a smaller square inside each one, leaving a 7.5mm border, taking care not to cut the pastry all the way through.
- Put the squares on the tray, lightly brush with egg glaze and bake for 15 mins until puffed up and golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. When cool, carefully remove and discard the central piece of pastry from each one. To serve, fill with the fillings (below). The vol-au-vent cases can be kept in an airtight container for up to a day before filling and serving.
- Put the eggs in a bowl and roughly crush into small pieces with a fork. Mix in the mayonnaise, curry powder, spring onions, coriander, lemon juice and some seasoning. Chill until ready to use.
- Divide between 10 vol-au-vent cases, sprinkle with coriander leaves and top with a small dollop of mango chutney.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the shallots and garlic, and gently sauté for a couple of mins. Remove the porcini mushrooms from the soaking liquid and squeeze out any excess. Roughly chop and add to the pan along with the chestnut mushrooms and thyme. Cook for about 5 mins. If the mixture seems dry, add a little mushroom soaking liquid.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the mascarpone and Parmesan. Season and leave to cool. Chill until ready to use.
- Divide between 10 vol-au-vent cases and serve scattered with Parmesan shavings and a few thyme leaves.
- Cook the asparagus in boiling salted water for 3-4 mins until just tender. Drain and refresh in cold water to stop them cooking further, then pat dry. Cut the asparagus tips off the stalks, so they are about 2cm long, and set aside. Slice the stalks into small pieces.
- Flake the trout into small pieces and put in a bowl. Add the chopped asparagus stalks, horseradish, crème fraîche, dill and lemon juice, and season. Chill until ready to use.
- Divide between 10 vol-au-vent cases and sit an asparagus tip and sprig of dill on top of each.