6 free-range egg whites, room temperature
1 ½ cups caster sugar
3 tsp cornflour
1 tsp white vinegar
½ tsp cream of tartar
300 ml tub thickened cream
quartered fresh strawberries
fresh passionfruit pulp
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
¼ cup caster sugar
2 Tbsp custard powder
¼ cup fresh passionfruit pulp
- Trace a 22cm circle onto a sheet of baking paper. Place trace-side down on a greased large oven tray. Lightly grease paper with oil.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl of an electric mixer until frothy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tblsp at a time, beating until dissolved. Continue to beat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until thick and glossy. Beat in cornflour, vinegar and cream of tartar.
- Using a large serving spoon, place spoonfuls of meringue mixture (about ½ cup) onto the circle, side-by-side, on the prepared tray. Make an indent on the top of each one.
- Cook in a very slow oven (100C) for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until dry and crisp. Turn off oven. Cool pavlova in oven with door open about 15cm for 1 hour. Remove.
- Meanwhile, make custard. Combine milk and vanilla in a medium saucepan over a low heat. Stir until hot. Remove.
- Combine sugar and custard powder in a medium heatproof bowl. Gradually whisk in hot milk until combined. Return to same saucepan. Whisk over a medium heat until boiling and thickened. Transfer to a clean heatproof bowl. Stir in passionfruit. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until cold.
- Just before serving, beat cream in a small bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Whisk custard in bowl until smooth. Fold in cream.
- Top pavlova with custard, strawberries, passionfruit and mint leaves