This peach cake is a great way to use leftover fruit. It's big enough for a cake stall or for office morning teas – everyone will be begging for the recipe!
125 g unsalted butter, chopped at room temperature
¾ cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 eggs, at room temperature
2 cups self-raising flour
1 cup sour cream
3 yellow peaches (130g each)
icing sugar mixture, to decorate
- Grease a 19cm x 30cm lamington pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 4cm above pan edges.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Add flour and sour cream. Stir until combined. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cut peaches in half. Remove and discard stones. Cut into 1cm slices. Arrange in a single layer over cake mixture.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for 50 minutes, or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Remove. Cool completely in pan.
- To serve, lift out of pan. Dust with sifted icing sugar. Cut into squares.