5 yellow peaches (750g)
125 g unsalted butter, chopped at room temperature
⅔ cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 ⅓ cup self-raising flour
⅓ cup milk
¼ cup apricot jam
300 ml tub thickened cream
½ cup icing sugar mixture
250 g tub mascarpone
- Line a 12-hole muffin pan (1/3-cup capacity) with paper cases.
- Peel and chop two of the peaches into 1cm pieces.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Transfer to a large bowl. Add sifted flour and milk, in two batches. Stir until combined.
- Fold in peaches. Divide evenly among prepared cases.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 15 to 17 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Cut remaining unpeeled peaches into 24 wedges. Heat jam in a heatproof jug in a microwave on High for 10 seconds, or until warm. Strain through a sieve. Brush jam over cut sides of peach wedges.
- To make frosting, beat cream and sugar in a small bowl of an electric mixer until firm peaks form. Fold in mascarpone.
- Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 1½cm plain nozzle. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Decorate each with two peach wedges.