This cake is a real crowd pleaser, perfect for any special occasion. Guests will love the combination of peanuts and chocolate!
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
⅔ cup buttermilk
½ cup smooth natural peanut butter
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup self-raising flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
⅓ cup milk chocolate chips
chopped, salted roasted peanuts, to decorate
Choc fudge frosting
1 cup icing sugar mixture
1 tbsp cocoa powder
50 g unsalted butter, melted
1 tbsp milk
- Grease a 20cm square cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above pan edges.
- Place brown sugar, buttermilk, peanut butter, oil, vanilla and egg in a large bowl. Whisk until combined. Whisk in combined sifted flour and soda. Stir in Choc Bits. Pour into prepared pan.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160°c) for about 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make choc fudge frosting, sift icing sugar and cocoa into a medium bowl. Stir in butter and milk until smooth.
- Spread frosting over top of cold cake. Sprinkle with peanuts. Cut into squares.