410 g canned pears in juice, drained
1 ¾ cups self-raising flour
½ cup caster sugar
½ cup sour cream
¼ cup milk
100 g unsalted butter, melted, cooled
1 free-range egg
thick vanilla custard, to serve
⅓ cup plain flour
50 g cold unsalted butter, finely chopped
½ cup finely chopped walnuts
¼ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- Line a 12-hole muffin pan (1/3-cup capacity) with paper cases.
- Drain pears, discarding juice. Process pears in a food processor until smooth.
- Place flour in a large bowl. Stir in sugar. Add pear puree, sour cream, milk, butter and egg. Whisk until combined. Divide mixture evenly among paper cases.
- To make crumble, place flour in a bowl. Rub in the butter with your fingertips. Stir in the walnuts and sugar. Sprinkle the crumble over muffin mixture.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Remove.
- Serve warm muffins with custard.