Pe-can you believe it? This nutty delight is sure to be a hit at your next party. Or, you can enjoy them for some me-time with a cuppa!
2 cups plain flour
¾ cup brown sugar
1 ½ cups pecans
175 g unsalted butter, melted
2 Tbsp golden syrup
250 g packet cream cheese, chopped, room temperature
⅓ cup caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Grease an 18cm x 28cm rectangular slice pan. Line the base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above pan edges.
- Process flour, sugar and ½ cup of the pecans in a food processor until nuts are finely chopped. Add butter and golden syrup. Process until combined. Remove.
- Reserve 1 cup of mixture. Press remaining mixture over base of prepared pan.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 15 minutes, or until golden. Remove. Cool.
- To make filling, process cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in same, clean food processor until smooth. Add egg. Process until combined. Pour over base. Spread evenly.
- Coarsely chop remaining nuts. Stir into reserved mixture. Sprinkle over filling.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown and filling is just set. Remove. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Refrigerate for 4 hours, or overnight until firm.
- Lift slice from pan. Cut into squares to serve.