Sweet, creamy ice-cream, with chunky bits of crunchy pistachio nuts. A refreshing dessert at a summer's dinner party, or to have on a hot day in a waffle cone.
1/8 tsp pistachio or almond essence
1 cup shelled pistachios
400 ml milk
6 egg yolks
⅔ cup caster sugar
300 ml thickened cream
1- 2 drops liquid green food colouring
chopped pistachios, to garnish (optional)
- If you have an ice-cream maker that requires the container to be frozen, make sure it has been in the freezer overnight. Put pistachios in the bowl of a food processor and process until finely chopped. Remove ¼ cup and reserve. Process remaining pistachios until finely ground.
- Put milk and ground pistachios in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Stir until it comes to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- Put yolks and sugar in the large bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 5 minutes until thick and creamy. With motor running, slowly drizzle in hot milk mixture, while frequently scraping down sides of bowl. Transfer mixture to a large heatproof bowl and stand over a medium saucepan of simmering water, making sure bottom of bowl doesn’t touch water.
- Stir frequently until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 25 minutes. Allow to cool. Sit bowl in a large bowl of cold water with plenty of ice cubes to chill quickly, or refrigerate for at least 6 hours until well chilled (see note, below).
- Stir cream into chilled custard. Add a few drops of colouring to tint a pale green colour. Churn in ice-cream machine according to directions for 25 minutes or until a soft-serve consistency. Add reserved chopped pistachios while churning to combine.
- vTransfer ice-cream to a suitable container, seal and freeze overnight. Serve garnished with extra pistachios.