600 g plain baker's flour
2 sachets dried yeast
2 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp fine salt
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
500 g slow-cooked pork brisket with bbq rum sauce
¼ cup pizza sauce
1 cup canned fire-roasted capsicum strips, sliced
½ red onion, finely sliced
2 Tbsp pitted black olives, chopped
2 Tbsp basil pesto
1 cup grated mozzarella
basil, to garnish
- Combine 1⁄4 cup of the flour with yeast, sugar and 1⁄4 cup of tepid water in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside for 10 minutes or until foamy.
- Transfer yeast mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Add salt, remaining flour and 11⁄4 cups tepid water. Beat on medium for 3 minutes or until combined. Add olive oil and beat for 10 minutes or until dough is smooth. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Set aside in a draught-free place to prove for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, warm slow- cooked pork with its sauce in a microwave-safe bowl on medium/50% for 3 minutes. Shred meat with 2 forks and mix well into the sauce. Set aside.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 4 even pieces. Roll each piece into a log about 40cm long and flatten with a rolling pin to about 10cm wide. Spread pizza sauce over each piece, leaving a 1cm border. Top with pork, capsicum, onion, olive, pesto and cheese. Pinch long edges of logs to enclose topping.
- Line up the logs and join all 4 logs at 1 end by pressing the dough together. Mark the log positions 1 to 4 from left to right. Braid the logs into a loaf in the following pattern: log 2 over 3, then 4 over 2, then 1 over 3 and repeat until the end. The logs change position as you braid. Fold ends under and pinch to secure. Place on a large oven tray lined with baking paper. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced (200°C conventional). Bake bread for 35 minutes or until golden and hollow sounding when tapped. Transfer the bread to a wire rack to cool. Garnish with baby basil. Slice to serve.