400 g brown rice
250 g daikon, julienned
20 g dried wakame seaweed sheets
2 Lebanese cucumbers, thinly sliced
3 green shallots, finely sliced
3 Tbsp mirin
2 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
2 tsp tamari sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
400 g fresh sashimi-grade tuna steaks, cut into 2cm dice
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
200 g fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
kewpie mayonnaise, to serve
2 fresh long green chillies, finely sliced
2 limes, segmented and diced, to garnish
50 g pickled ginger
- Cook rice following packet instructions. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, put radish in a bowl of cold water. Chill until needed.
- Put wakame in a bowl, cover with water and soak for 15 minutes or until soft. Drain. Roughly chop and put in a large bowl. Add cucumber, shallots, 1 Tbsp of the mirin, 1 Tbsp of the rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Toss to combine. Leave for 10 minutes, to lightly pickle.
- Meanwhile, to make dressing, put sesame seeds, tamari, ½ tsp of the sesame oil, remaining mirin and remaining rice vinegar in a small jug. Mix to combine and set aside.
- Combine tuna, 1 Tbsp of the olive oil, extra sugar, ½ tsp of the extra salt and remaining sesame oil in a bowl.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Cook garlic for 30 seconds or until it just starts to colour. Add mushrooms and remaining salt and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden. Stir through extra 2 tsp rice vinegar.
- Divide rice among 4 bowls and dot with mayonnaise. Spoon over tuna, radish, pickled vegetables and mushrooms. Top with chilli, lime and pickled ginger, if using. Drizzle over sesame dressing and serve.