Pork is drenched in a tomato and caper sauce, then paired with risoni, which is given an extra flavour hit thanks to the addition of garlic & cucumber.
600 g pork leg steaks
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tbsp tomato paste
6 ripe tomatoes (1kg), chopped
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp drained, baby capers
1 ½ cups risoni
2 zucchini, grated
1 clove garlic, crushed
- Toss pork with 1 tbsp of the oil. Season.
- To make risoni, cook in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water until tender. Drain. Return pan to a low heat with 1 tbsp of the oil. Add zucchini and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Stir in risoni. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat an oiled, large, non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add pork in batches of two to three pieces. Cook for about 1 minute on each side, or until cooked. Remove.
- Add 1/3 cup water to same frying pan over a medium heat. Add tomato paste and tomatoes. Season. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Stir in sugar, vinegar and capers.
- Serve risoni topped with pork and tomato sauce.