6 large potatoes
375 ml beer, chilled
250 ml sparkling mineral water, chilled
250 g plain flour
250 g cornflour
1 Tbsp salt
freshly ground black pepper to season
rice bran oil, to deep fry
Jalapeno tartare sauce
1 ½ cups mayonnaise
10 cornichons, finely chopped
2 Tbsp baby capers
2 Tbsp finely chopped coriander
2 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
2 Tbsp chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped
2 Tbsp finely chopped jalapeno chillies
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced (200°C conventional). Put whole potatoes on an oven tray and bake for 1 hour or until tender.
- Meanwhile, to make Jalapeño tartare sauce, mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside
- Remove potatoes from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Cut potatoes into 1.5cm-thick slices.
- Mix beer and mineral water in a jug or bowl.
- Combine plain flour, cornflour and salt in a large bowl. Season with pepper. Make a well in the centre. Gradually add beer mixture, stirring, until batter is smooth.
- Pour oil into a large, deep saucepan until 5cm deep. Heat to 190°C on a cook’s thermometer, or until a cube of bread turns golden in 30 seconds.
- Working in 3 batches, dip potato slices in batter and drain excess. Deep-fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towel.
- Arrange potato cakes on a platter and serve with Jalapeño tartare sauce on the side.