600 g medium green prawns, peeled, deveined
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
sea salt flakes and pepper to season
2 free-range egg yolks
1 Tbsp double cream
1 tsp fish sauce
500 ml fish stock
4 tomatoes, diced
12 basil leaves
½ tsp fennel seeds
2 fresh long red chillies, deseeded, finely diced
2 dill sprigs, leaves picked
ginger, peeled, finely chopped
2 Tbsp coconut flakes
2 Tbsp fried shallots
- Combine prawns, garlic and ½ a teaspoon of salt in a mortar then pound until a paste forms. Add egg yolks, cream, fish sauce and a pinch of white pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Cut twelve 20cm squares of plastic wrap. Spoon 1 tablespoon of prawn mixture onto each square, then roll up to make sausage shapes. Tie one end, then twist from other end to tighten. Tie and secure.
- Put prawn sausages into a steamer basket over a pan of simmering water. Steam for 8 minutes or until just firm.
- Meanwhile, combine stock, tomato, basil and fennel seeds in a medium saucepan. Heat over a medium heat. Simmer for 5 minutes. Crush tomato mixture with back of a spoon, then strain through a fine sieve into another bowl. Discard solids. Season broth with salt.
- Ladle tomato broth into shallow serving bowls. Unwrap prawn sausages and divide between the bowls of broth.
- Combine chilli, dill, ginger, coconut and fried shallots. Scatter over broth to serve.