6 free-range egg whites, room temperature
175 g unsalted butter,melted and cooled
1 ½ cups almond meal
2 tsp finely grated fresh lemon rind
1 cup icing sugar mixture
½ cup self-raising flour
125 g punnet fresh raspberries
¼ cup flaked almonds
extra raspberries to serve
double cream, to serve
3 egg whites, room temperature
¾ cup caster sugar
- Grease six 12cm loosebase flan tins. Line bases with baking paper. Place on a large oven tray.
- Whisk egg whites in a large bowl until just frothy. Add butter, almond meal, lemon rind and combined sifted sugar and flour. Gently stir until combined. Stand for 10 minutes.
- Divide almond mixture evenly among prepared tins. Smooth tops. Divide raspberries over almond mixture. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and stand for 5 minutes. Remove tarts from tins. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make meringue, beat egg whites in a small bowl of an electric mixer until frothy. With motor operating, gradually add the sugar, beating until sugar is dissolved and meringue is thick and glossy.
- Place tarts on a large oven tray. Spoon meringue over the top of the tarts.
- Cook in a very hot oven (220C) for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until meringue is lightly browned. Remove.
- Serve tarts with extra raspberries and cream.