When life give you lemons, do what Baby Mac does and make her dead easy and delicious recipe for sweet lemon curd. It makes a thoughtful homemade gift too!
- zest and juice 4 lemons
- 4 eggs
- 4 extra egg yolks
- 1 ½ cups caster sugar
- 160 g chilled butter, chopped
- Combine lemon juice and zest in a bowl and set aside.
- Into a saucepan (not yet over heat) mix together the whole eggs, egg yolks and sugar with a whisk.
- Place saucepan over medium heat, then whisk in a little butter, followed by a little of the lemon juice mixture. Continue to slowly add the butter and lemon juice, whisking constantly after each addition.
- Keep whisking until all the butter has melted and the curd has thickened. This took me about 10 minutes. You’ll know when it’s ready as it’s smooth, thick and did I mention, delicious?
- Pour hot curd into sterlised jars and cool to room temperature before chilling.
I occasionally use more than 4 lemons as sometimes the home grown lemons have less juice. They can be stored in the fridge for 2 weeks (although they won’t last that long!)
To sterilise jars I wash them in the dishwasher on the hottest cycle, or wash them in hot soapy water and then place them into a low oven (120°C) for 20 minutes, ensuring all plastic seals are removed.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||94.8 g|
|Total carbohydrates||315.3 g|
|- Sugars||305.1 g|
|Dietary fibre||5.0 g|